[Typo3] Strategy for page templates... help needed.

Amir Mualem amir219 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 7 18:53:22 CEST 2005

Tyler Kraft wrote:
> Ok Amir here is the answer:
>
> If it was me I wouldn't use TV for this or FCE.  You have a nice html
> template that is well done (I see you sorted out the box model issue)
> and the content you want to replace into it is not complex at all, as
> its just simple text.
>
> I would probably template this the old-fashioned way and insert from my
> template the menus (which I believe you've already solved), the page
> title, the breadcrumbs as a tmenu (not a hard tmenu to do, again refer
> to the tsref as it explains all the properties you need and the archives
> for examples), and last but not least the content.  The content you can
> just use regular content items for most of this but if at some point you
> need a more complex specific content item then create one with TV or do
> the old fashioned method of creating a COA object to do it for you to
> insert a specific content layout consistently.  You can then through
> your template setup and typoscript manipulate all the content wrapping
> so that you only get h1 with out the css_style_content classes for
> example.  You can also configure the rte to produce pretty clean text
> for you.  You can combine the use of FCE and the standard items as you
> wish, but I cant see anywhere here you need to do this.
>
> Unfortunately this will probably require you to do a lot of research and
> reading of tsref and the archives (lets just not even start with if you
> should do this or have to do this).  But the answers are not hard to
> find. Ex if you wanted to change the css_styles_content classes that
> headers get wrapped with a search for 'change css styled content
> classes' or another variation will probably quickly show you that you
> need to adjust the TS wrapping, and you can do this in the template
> setup or with the template object browser (check the 'enable object
> link').  The template object browser will allow you to not only edit you
> settings but help you get an idea about how it is structured.
>
> So there is my advice,a and there are many ways to do it, but doing it
> this way would probably take me a few hours to get up and running.  and
> I'm not saying that to show off or be cocky, I'm trying to point out
> that for all the reading you will do it really does pay off - often and
> repeatedly.  Honest I know it takes time but just please try it. You
> wouldn't put a new driver into a F1 car would you?  They would need some
> experience and training.  This also takes effort and time.
>
> hth
>
> tk
>
> P.S if your not sure about what I mean by the old fashioned way of
> templating then contact me off list and I'll explain it and show you
> some examples. But if I don't reply for a while then don't get upset,
> I'm in the middle of finals and work so a bit busy.
>
> Amir Mualem wrote:
>
>> As some of you may know, I am making a template for my site.  I am
> [...]

And thanks for the advice... but I have been searching TSref and other
docs, google, archives, but I still cant find out a step by step guide
on how to change css default style classes...

My brain is fried...

-- Btw, I solved the problem with this question, simply change the
editing type of the body map in the template objects mapping to Content
Elements.