[Typo3] Strategy for page templates... help needed.

Amir Mualem amir219 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 7 17:19:15 CEST 2005

Tyler Kraft wrote:
> Ok Amir here is the answer:
>
> If it was me I wouldn't use TV for this or FCE.  You have a nice html
> template that is well done (I see you sorted out the box model issue)
> and the content you want to replace into it is not complex at all, as
> its just simple text.
>
> I would probably template this the old-fashioned way and insert from my
> template the menus (which I believe you've already solved), the page
> title, the breadcrumbs as a tmenu (not a hard tmenu to do, again refer
> to the tsref as it explains all the properties you need and the archives
> for examples), and last but not least the content.  The content you can
> just use regular content items for most of this but if at some point you
> need a more complex specific content item then create one with TV or do
> the old fashioned method of creating a COA object to do it for you to
> insert a specific content layout consistently.  You can then through
> your template setup and typoscript manipulate all the content wrapping
> so that you only get h1 with out the css_style_content classes for
> example.  You can also configure the rte to produce pretty clean text
> for you.  You can combine the use of FCE and the standard items as you
> wish, but I cant see anywhere here you need to do this.
>
> Unfortunately this will probably require you to do a lot of research and
> reading of tsref and the archives (lets just not even start with if you
> should do this or have to do this).  But the answers are not hard to
> find. Ex if you wanted to change the css_styles_content classes that
> headers get wrapped with a search for 'change css styled content
> classes' or another variation will probably quickly show you that you
> need to adjust the TS wrapping, and you can do this in the template
> setup or with the template object browser (check the 'enable object
> link').  The template object browser will allow you to not only edit you
> settings but help you get an idea about how it is structured.
>
> So there is my advice,a and there are many ways to do it, but doing it
> this way would probably take me a few hours to get up and running.  and
> I'm not saying that to show off or be cocky, I'm trying to point out
> that for all the reading you will do it really does pay off - often and
> repeatedly.  Honest I know it takes time but just please try it. You
> wouldn't put a new driver into a F1 car would you?  They would need some
> experience and training.  This also takes effort and time.
>
> hth
>
> tk
>
> P.S if your not sure about what I mean by the old fashioned way of
> templating then contact me off list and I'll explain it and show you
> some examples. But if I don't reply for a while then don't get upset,
> I'm in the middle of finals and work so a bit busy.
>
> Amir Mualem wrote:
>
>> As some of you may know, I am making a template for my site.  I am
> [...]

I have re-read this whole thread, no one here helped me find out an
answer except telling me that the answer is in the Grid Element's
section.  So please do not tell me I am being rude to people that is
helping me because quite frankly, no one here helped me so far in this
thread.

And might I add, YOU (and Christopher) were the FIRST one to be rude. I
do not need a lecture from you or anyone.  This is my way of finding
information, and learning, if you dont like it, again, dont post in my
threads since you care nothing about helping me.  Dont you understand
that?  Thats all I ask.  You are not helping me by telling me to read
the manual every time I ask a question.  All of the questions in this
whole mailing list can probably be answered in the manual, but I dont
see anyone answering those other threads with "RTFM" which is extremely
rude if you ask me.  I came to this mailing list not to be told to go
back to the manual without no guidence.  If you are going to tell me to
readthe manual, atleast tell me where in the manual I can find the
answer and explain it.  Because obviously, if I came here, I am either
not seeing the answer or not understanding what the manual is saying and
thats it.

This is the most amazing community I have ever seen.