[Typo3] Strategy for page templates... help needed.

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Thu May 5 19:58:14 CEST 2005

Amy

What you have written is very true and all the points you've raised are
true.  We have all been where you as newbies are in the past, and that
is what is the frustrating point.  We understand how you feel - as
newbies - but the issue still exists that a lot of questions are just
not well searched out!

It seems that a lot of questions, and questioners, don't look at the
archives, How To's or FAQs on typo3.org.  When I started working with
typo3 two years ago I noticed that foolishly asked questions were not
responded to or criticised.  So I learned to read everything, and look
every where.  I thought about what I needed to find and then I searched
by single key words, and combinations of them, and I read all the
answers. And then it was often a matter of rereading it all to start to
put pieces together.  It took a lot of time, yes, but I learned a lot in
the process.  To the stage I'm at now where I can often turn a site
around totally in a matter of 2-3 days
(html/CSS/javascript/typo3/groups/users/set-up...) if I need to.

Google is great but is not infallible, or the be-all-end-all. The point
I'm making is that if we, as experienced users, have gone to all this
trouble to learn how to use the system by reading and researching,a and
now by volunteering our time and knowledge... how do so many newbies
expect to learn anything by asking the most simple questions.  Its an
extremely versatile and complex system, but the only way to be good with
it is to truly come to know it and then to start to think outside the
conventional parameters.  I remember a posting quoting Kasper as once
saying 'I didn't know it could do that!' There is just so much to learn,
but the only way to learn it is to really just read everything, and
treat a few key documents as bibles (TSref, TSconfig, TS by example, etc).

In this case it was an series of extremely simple questions, that WERE
really blatantly obvious.  Its not a matter of us being smarter, more
gifted, or more perceptive - its a matter of us having put in long long
hours and huge amounts of effort to find the answers and figure out how
it works.  None of use started with any point of reference, or history
with typo3, but we have just worked really hard.  And I'm not implying
that newbies are lazy or don't have the ability to comprehend typo3
because I don't think that's the case. So as an experienced user that is
what I find frustrating - users who are capable of finding the answer
but simply send off a simple question and expect it to be answered for
them in an hour.  And when told to look 'here' proceed to argue about it.

I agree about the lack of incomplete and missing documentation, but
there is so much information out there for the system that needs to be
organised.  That's why there is a documentation team, so if you want to
help then offer, as I'm sure it would be accepted.  You will be working
with some of the top notch people, and reading over lots of
documentation, so chances are you will learn a lot really really quick.

Maybe as newbies you need to have mercy on us as well.  Don't frustrate
us by a lack of effort to find the answer yourselves.  This list is
extremely helpful and very very talented, but only when its not a waste
of our time.

tk