[Typo3] Strategy for page templates... help needed.

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 19:05:31 CEST 2005

*Sigh*

--- Amir Mualem <amir219 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >

> >>A relevent question to this would be like... can I put other content
> >>elements inside a Flexible Content Element?  Like a list? or a table?
> >

> > Now you're PROVING that you're not reading the docs before you post.
> The
> > FTB tutorial is pretty clear that one of the neat things about
> Templavoila
> > is that you can build content elements that contain other content
> > elements...
> >
> > -Christopher
> >

> And where would that be?  Unfortunately it is not too obvious too me.
> It does not say those words anywhere.  I read the doc and I dont
> remember seeing once "one of the neat things about Templavoila
> is that you can build content elements that contain other content
> elements..." maybe you can point out what page it is in?
>
> Creating a "grid" Content Element?
>
> Creating a "pseudo-record" list?

Well, Tyler already pointed out that if you DO the tutorial, then you
actually DO the thing you asked about [1]. But besides that, there's always
section 1.1, the _introduction_ [2]:

"Further [Templavoila] turns the traditional way of working with content
elements around from being "columns"-centered to being totally
hierarchically nested inside each other."

But look, nobody is trying to hinder you or discourage you; Typo3 is a
thoroughly remarkable system and the mailing lists are an awesome resource
where you can find (and should feel free to ask for) top-notch advice about
how to get things accomplished with Typo3.

But Typo3 is also complex and it requires time, practice, patience and
study to understand. The mailing lists are superb resources for the
community, but they're _supplementary_ resources. By the time someone has
searched through Google, the document library [3], the Wiki [4], the
mailing list archive [5], the faqs [6], and the howtos [7], there should
really be fairly few questions ever reaching the mailing lists. It _has to_
be this way, because otherwise the list would be overwhelemed by beginners'
simple questions and I think the quantity and quality of answers would
dramatically be lessened. Moreover, the more the mailing lists get clogged
with simple questions, the harder it becomes to search the mailing list
archives for the answers to truly difficult questions.

-Christopher

[1]
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_ftb1/Creating_a_quot_gri/
[2]