[Typo3] how do extensions authors catch up with core updates?

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Thu May 5 16:04:52 CEST 2005

Bing Du wrote:
> Coming from Mambo (another very popular CMS) and working on Typo3 now
> with a couple of questions:
>
> 1. How often does Typo3 core upgrade?
> 2. When Typo3 core upgrades, how fast can extensions authors catch up?
>
> I'm asking that because in our experience with Mambo, whenever its core
> upgraded, if the authors of Mambo's 3rd party components/modules do not
> caught up, our site just got stuck.

Typo3 core gets updated every 6-12 months. At least the last ones.

Normally the T3 core stays downward compatible. That means that at least for some
version numbers every feature will be availbale. This gives the extension authors
some time to change theier coding to newer concepts.

When a feature comes outdated like the old "language split" fields then they will be
removed some time (which becoes true for the language split feature in some time).

greets,
Bernhard