[Typo3] tt_news common storage folder and template rewrite questions

Joshua Preston jpreston at americatab.com
Wed May 4 17:20:52 CEST 2005

Hey group,

I am setting up an infinite number of affialiate sites under one install
of TYPO3.  I have tt_news setup to look in two separate storage folders,
which works flawlessly!  One storage folder is specific to that domain,
the other is shared for all sites.

Basically, the tree looks like this:

+-/ [root folder]

|-+-/ www.domain1.tld
| |
| |--/ domain1 Storage Folder

|-+-/ www.domain2.tld
| |
| |--/ domain2 Storage Folder

|-+-/ Shared Storage Folder

The goal of this setup so far works.  I have tt_news setup to look first
in the domain# storage folder, then to the Shared Storage Folder.  This
works perfectly.

I do however need an additional feature that I'm sure can be done, if
not already, but I'm not sure of how to accomplish it.

Scenario:

Our server needs maintenance and will be down, and all domains need to
be alerted.  Our clients want all information to use their domain name
instead of first person pronouns.

Currently, I would add a new tt_news item in the Shared Storage Folder
and all sites show this item properly.  However, it is a generic
message, and I need some kind of rewrite/template/text replace to
happen.  For example

I want the article to go from (currently):

    Our webserver will be down for routine maintenance from 2am until
4am this Sunday, May 8, 2005.

    ###DOMAINNAME### has a scheduled maintenance which will occur on
Sunday, May 8, 2005 from 2am until 4am.

Where ###DOMAINNAME### is replaced with the name of the site or any
other text for that matter.

I'm sure it is possible, just not clear as to how...  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Joshua Preston.