[Typo3] typo3 vs plone. what are strenghts and weaknesses

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Mar 31 21:56:25 CEST 2005

Hi Erik,

thanks for your interesting sum-up.

> The cons of Typo3.
> - Complex and a lot of different ways in doing thing (as Peter wrote).
> Both in the way the editors work, but also in the way you configure the
> site. Three different ways in templating, different ways in making the
> Typoscript and so on. I think you have to choose a way, and follow it.

I don't think that there is a problem with too many possibilities if we only
show one single way to the users (means: documentation, videos, etc.)

> - The quality of the extension are from splendid to useless. And you often
> have to try them before you know.

The situation is going to be improved by an extension review team.

> - The system are using resources.

Yes, that's one of the big points where still a lot can be improved. However
the cache-control headers will also improve that situation by decreasing
the number of page requests:
http://typo3.org/development/articles/using-cache-control-headers-in-typo3/

Regards, michael
--