[Typo3] US Date

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 03:24:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

--- Amy Stinson <tzaia at stinsonfamily.com> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2005 at 11:37, Daniel Rahenkamp wrote:
>
> > that I can't get my arms around enough to understand how to set this
> > to the US format.
>
> Daniel,
>
> You can't format it there (referring to your jpg).  That place just
> determines whether it's
> visible or not.
>
> Almost every extension has 2 files, both ending with .txt which can be
> access through
> the extension manager.  You have to select available extensions.  Once
> that list has
> populated, then you select the actual extension (they are hyperlinked).
> From there, on
> the upper right hand corner you have a drop down box that defaults to
> information.
> There is also an option to "edit files".  Select that and you will see
> all the file list and a
> link to each file to "edit file".  Now if you edit "**setup.txt" you will
> see something along
> the lines of this:
>
> date_stdWrap.strftime= %e-%m-%y
>
> THAT is where Typo3 is getting it's information about the date format.
>
> Change it to:
>
> date_stdWrap.strftime= %m-%e-%y
> and every other instance of a date format and save it.

As I already mentioned in this thread, this is not very good advice. This
method is not actually *wrong* (i.e. it will work), but it has some
definite drawbacks. For example, if you change the files directly in the
extension, then you will need to make your changes again *every time* you
upgrade the extension to a new version. Furthermore not using TS templates
instead drastically limits your flexibility; e.g. if you run a site in
multiple languages without configuring extension TS with templates, you
would not then be able to set different date formats for the same extension
on a per-language basis. Worst of all, if you make a *mistake* in a change
to the default TS in an extension, it may be much harder to find and
correct it.

So in other words, it's best to use typoscript templates instead of working
directly on the extension files - and there's a powerful tool to assist in
the creation of TS templates in the Template module in the BE [1].

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_quickstart/The_Object_Browser/