[Typo3] Paragraph Bug?

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Fri Mar 25 10:39:27 CET 2005

Christopher wrote:
(...)
>>The second flaw is that each linebreak in the backend becomes a new
>>paragraph in the frontend. IMHO this should be a simple <br /> instead,
>>because a paragraph has semantically another meaning.
>>A new paragraph is usually indicated by an empty line in the Backend.
(...)
> This might be a stupid question, but do you know how to type <br /> and
> [SHIFT-RETURN] and a carriage return (<p>) when you type [RETURN]. As far
> as I'm able to tell, Typo3's RTE transformations conform to this convention
> (but, as Oliver suggested, check the 'doNotConvert' setting...)

Hi Christopher,
You're right, but here's where various editors differ. E.g. in
wikipedia, a linebreak entered with the return key is ignored; and a
paragraph is created by a blank line. Other editors encapsulate the
whole text in one big paragraph, handling line breaks with <br /> and a
blank line with <br /><br />.
Other editors like the one in Typo3 treat every linebreak as a new
paragraph.

Is there any standard that defines some behaviour in this case?

I'm asking because a paragraph is normally defined as a block of text
that is textual related and, according to html specs, can contain any
number of linebreaks.
So according to this statement, a linebreak inside a paragraph should be

Regards,
Ro