[Typo3] Typo3 on SQL Server

John Nicholas typo3user at mobosplash.com
Fri Mar 18 16:08:20 CET 2005

Andreas Otto wrote:

>Hi Christoph, hi Karsten,
>
>On Freitag, 18. März 2005 13:39, Christoph Moeller wrote in
>typo3.english:
>

>>search the microsoft.de page for "action pack". That's a subscription
>>based partner licensing package for about EUR 350/year which includes
>>about every single MS software product plus mostly 1 server and 10
>>client licenses. MSSQL server is included.
>>

>IIRC there is something like a smaller version of MS SQL Server which
>comes without a licence fee. Some other WCMS is shipping with this
>solution.
>
>Maybe <http://www.microsoft.com/germany/sql/downloads/default.mspx> has
>something to offer Karsten can use.
>

>Cheers,
>Andreas

There are two versions available now for free download that don't
require any membership

MSDE (
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=413744d1-a0bc-479f-bafa-e4b278eb9147&DisplayLang=en
)
This is a free version of SQL Server 2000. It has some limits on traffic
and database size and doesn't come with any admin tools. I've found that
DbVisualizer works ok (this is a free java based database tool) Other
than the limits it acts exactly like SQL Server so should be fine for
testing compatibility. The limits are  high enough that it can run a
live site if the traffic isn't too high. This is something that typo3
will have to test against since I think typo3 makes a lot of database
calls per page request.

There is also a version of this for the new Sql Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=62b348bb-0458-4203-bb03-8be49e16e6cd&DisplayLang=en

This has less limits than the previous version but is still in beta.