[Typo3] Website Very Slow in IE but fast in Firefox

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Mar 16 15:29:19 CET 2005

> Initially we thought the problem was the size of the menus and changed
> these. This has reduced the code on most pages by something like 2000
> lines - but the pages are still slow. In fact in IE6 they almost
> appear to stop.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://portsmouth.anglican.org/info.html and any of the sub-pages.
>
> In IE6 the status bar says 'Done' fairly quickly, the blue loading
> indicator on the status bar goes virtually to 100% and then stops and
> the page locks for anything up to 3-4 seconds! And I am using 2mb
> Broadband!
>
> Why would IE seem to load almost everything and then stop for seconds?

 - If you reduced the size of the menu already, they must have been
incredibly large before. I just saved the menu <div> as a text file and got
84(!)KB that appear to be in only one(!) huge line. You should at least
manage to get some linebreaks into the code and IMHO rethink the whole menu
concept.
- Another question: Why are you using jpg-images > 30KB for those
thumbnails?
- And the last one: Use a larger background image that must not be repeated
by the browser that often.

All of them might be the reason for the problem but IMHO the main reason is
the oversized menu.

Joey

(If you have now clues: simply shut your gob sometimes!)
Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau