[Typo3] Xhtml compliance: problem with non_sgml chars

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 16:42:56 CET 2005

Hi there,

--- Rino Razzi <razzi at archicoop.it> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm developing a xhtml_strict compliant site using Typo3 3.7.0 with
> css_styled_content extention.
> I've problems to validate some pages because of "non-sgml characters" in
> bodytext fields.
>
> I verified that on bodytext field the htmlSpecialChars function is
> applied.
> In fact other special characters in the field are translated (<,>,& ...).
>
> Does anyone know where the problem is?
> Is it a charset problem? The charset I use in the output page is the
> default one: iso-8859-1.
> Is there something to know about charset used in typo3 BE, typo3 FE,
> mysql?

This is sometimes caused by users pasting content from windows applications
into  the back end; you should be able to prevent it by forcing the BE
charset from the install tool. Look for :

[BE][forceCharset]

...and set it to whatever's most appropriate (could be iso-8859-1, could be
utf-8 etc...)

-Christopher