[Typo3] Frontend Editing with multiple domains

Hartmut Plehn plehn at rz.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Jun 28 09:02:36 CEST 2005

Coke, Mickey wrote:

> I hope someone can direct me to the solutions to this.  I have been
> running a typo3 site for over 2 years now.  One site with one domain.
> Frontend Editing has been working great.  I recently moved the site to
> another server to it's webserver root directory.  Typo3 is no longer
> running from a subdirectory.  I have then setup 2 subdomains.
> www.domain.com and domain.com.
>
> My Frontend editing works well in the original site at domain.com, but
> the newly created site and template works without Frontend editing.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks.  Everything works fine, except
> for front end editing.

As far as I understand it: for frontend editing to work the backend login
has to occur via the same domain. If you login at www.domain1.com/typo3/
you see the fe panel on pages under www.domain1.com. To see it under
www.domain2.com you have to login at www.domain2.com/typo3/

If you use https for backend login (or frontend login with simulatebe) you
have a problem: https is restricted to one domain since the certificate is
issued for that domain. In this case you have to live with warnings about
invalid certificates or you have to configure (in apache) a seperate ip
address (with its own certificate) for each domain.

Hope this helps
Hartmut