Antw.: [Typo3] T3 on PostgreSQL

Marcel Douwstra marcel.douwstra at tros.nl
Fri Jun 24 17:05:58 CEST 2005

> Van: Michael Scharkow <mscharkow at gmx.net>
> Datum: 24 juni 2005 14:14:56 GMT+02:00
> Aan: typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de
> Onderwerp: Antw.: [Typo3] T3 on PostgreSQL
> Antwoord aan: TYPO3 English <typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de>
>

> Marcel Douwstra wrote:
>> I was wondering, sparked by this thread, why no database abstraction
>> layer is used in Typo3?
>
> DBAL exists and works with 3.8 like a charm. Where have you been in
> the last months?

Mainly learning my way through typo :)

Let me rephrase then.. if I/we use t3lib_DB functions for data
extraction/handling, why isn't that DBAL used? Is it something you have
to "activate" yourself?

>> This kinda explains to me why a load of extensions use mysql
>> functions directly (I believe I even saw Kasper doing so in a
>> tutorial).
>
> Maybe you might remember that these videos are more than 2 years old.

True true, maybe it's time to update the tutorials.. but I'm sure other
things have a higher priority :)

>> So again, concretely these 2 questions :
>> - Why is there no database abstraction layer in typo3?
>
> There is.
>
>> - Why should we use the t3lib_DB functions if this doesn't really
>> improve the scalability of your extension?
>
> Because it improves the portability of your extension?

Only if a DBAL is actually used ofcourse.. but I agree extensions
should be as portable as possible. Couldn't things be a requirement for
creating extensions? Or would that make the treshold for submitting
extensions too high?

> Cheers,
> Michael

Cheers,