[Typo3] T3 on PostgreSQL

Marcel Douwstra marcel.douwstra at tros.nl
Fri Jun 24 14:00:10 CEST 2005

I was wondering, sparked by this thread, why no database abstraction
layer is used in Typo3?
And moreso, if no abstraction layer is used, why should I/we bother
with using the typo3 functions for database access?
I have been having some problems using them (especiallly annoying with
the inconcistancy between exec_query and exe_MM_query) but I believed
this was needed to keep things scalable. But when you look in the core
you see that all those typo3 functions are just a simple library that
access mysql functions directly.
This kinda explains to me why a load of extensions use mysql functions
directly (I believe I even saw Kasper doing so in a tutorial).

So again, concretely these 2 questions :

- Why is there no database abstraction layer in typo3?
- Why should we use the t3lib_DB functions if this doesn't really
improve the scalability of your extension?

Cheers,

Marcel

*** TYPO3 FORUM: http://typo3.tros.nl ***