[Typo3] just a word of praise!

McCluskey, Chris (ISD) Chris.McCluskey at isd.csa.scot.nhs.uk
Thu Jun 23 10:49:35 CEST 2005

"keep cool" - I am, although it is quite sunny here. I didn't think you were
ranting, maybe just raving ;o)

OK, I'll give you the typoScript/api thing... although in this day and age
it does seem a bit like overkill. I realise that having something like
typoScript as part of the framework allows Typo3 to be much more flexible
than the likes of Mambo, PHP Nuke or whatever but it's not a great solution.
What is the solution? Quite frankly, I don't know but the developers need to
move away from the 'made by developers for developer' model that Typo3
currently is, after all why bother using Typo3 at all if you are a
developer.

This is really my main grumble about Typo3... it offers nothing that a more
generic web technology (like for example PHP or .Net) has to offer but is
more limiting. What I think would make Typo3 a good tool would be if it did
it in a (and I realise I'm repeating myself, but it is the central problem
with Typo3) more usable less fragmented way.

"This comes from the fact that Typo3 is quite old and this template is so
too." - The age of Typo3 is apparent. It appears that it has been tweaked
over the years and had bit's bolted on left right and centre, which is why
it is so cumbersome. It really needs an overhaul or it will remain a
minority tool used by a group of enthusiasts.

" > "Could you clarify things?" - Essentially, the developers of Typo3 need
> input from people who aren't developers or individuals who, like yourself,
> use it constantly.
umm... yeah... just like I stated in my post"  - so you agree that you need
input from outwith the typo3 community and usability is an issue?

"I meant that you could point out ways to improve usability" - The
subscription to this list is on my work email so I really can't spend time
doing that but I don't think suggestions from one individual would be very
useful anyway. A proper usability study using a variety of users (with a
variety of skills) given set tasks would be the way to go about things.

One final thing, I think the typo3 website itself has usability issues. It
has a lot of info in it but that is only useful if it can be easily found.

Anyway... I really must go and do some work.
cheers,
Chris