[Typo3] just a word of praise!

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu Jun 23 08:56:35 CEST 2005

McCluskey, Chris (ISD) wrote:
> This is getting tedious...
>
> "If you use deprecated ways to build sites, you will suffer from
> backwards compatibility reasons." - you really didn't grasp what I was
> talking about, unless you consider typoScript as the future and expect to
> see if in applications other than Tyop3. You don't, do you?

Well Typoscript serves its purpose pretty well, and I'd definitely like
to see it in other applications. But the point you made was the TYPO3
seeks to avoid interoperationability (aargh, spelling?) which is not
true. Which cross-product templating (and more) engine would you like in
TYPO3? TAL is too verbose, and smarty is almost included in the way
subparts and markers work.
As to vendor lock-in: This is hardly avoidable once you work with a
framework on a regular basis, but you _can_ replace almost every part of
TYPO3 with a fancier solution for you.

> "Could you clarify things?" - Essentially, the developers of Typo3 need
> input from people who aren't developers or individuals who, like yourself,
> use it constantly.

This was requested a dozen times. The point is we cannot force people to
participate, and not surprisingly the most input comes from devs and
power users because noone else bothers.

> "I can only make assumptions now, but I guess you are using the static
> templates content(default)..." - default is the key word here.

As matthes pointed out, this is a relict from old times and has been
deprecated for years. I will really put some efforts into removing this
and replacing stuff for 4.0

Greetings,
Michael