[Typo3] copies to uploads/media

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at gmx.net
Wed Jun 22 11:01:16 CEST 2005

Olaf Menkens wrote:

> - it seems to waste disk space

That's true. But what is a GB today :)

> - it oftenly changes the filenames (adding some _01 to it), which some
> customers perceive diturbing

That is an inevitable effect of this method.

> - it complicates maintenance: after updating a media file I have to
> recreate all references to it

And that is why it (possible) was choosen to do so....
You could either say: I upload one image and as it get's used in 10 places all those get
replaced at once ... but probably you don't want that - you could want to just replace that
one image and have forgotten about the other 9. You replace the file and the mess is complete
as you have replaced 9 images you didn't want.

So it was choosen the other way: If you upload an image to the fileadmin at the first nothing
happens. You must update each record explicitly so you don't do anything unwanted.

AFAIK the DAM Extension supports "real" references to files and they don't get copied anymore
but I haven't played around with that yet.

> - after deleting (web) pages, these copies are not cleaned
> automatically, I have to use the extension kb_cleanfiles for that.

That's mine :)

greets,
Bernhard
--