[Typo3] UTF gets escaped in forms

Dmitrii Dimandt dmitriid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 16:03:38 CEST 2005

> Dmitrii! Frankly speaking I dont now why you try to translate what is
> translated already and what is worse to hack the source code of T3 :))!

:))

The thing is that he site is going to be in Turkish, Russian and
English. Currently, in Typo3 you have the following:

If your BE is in English and you add Russian content, then it shows up
in Unicode values. You have to switch to Russian in BE nefore you can
edit it. This is true for every other language as well.

What I did - I switched all display to utf-8 and now, regardless of
what the BE langauge is, I can add and edit content in any language I
want. Currently, this approach only broke indexed_search, which, for
reasons unknown to me, passes everything it displays in it's own forms
through htmlspecialchars.

Indexed search will need to be further tweaked, of course, to work
with Unicode, but I is being tweaked extensively by various users to
work with Russian, for example, so I don't think that I am doing
anything wrong by doing the same ;)

There are other issues, though. Deep inside the innards of typo3 the
fixed_lgd function splits unicode sentences incorrectly and _that_
will need fixing as well, even though I truly regret doing that. I
only tweaked it to split on empty spaces instead of splitting inside
words. So, that isn't too bad either :)

Apart from these minor obstacles, I am more than satisfied with my
Typo3 experience so far, so I am going to stick around for long :))