[Typo3] No thumbnails are created

Dmitrii Dimandt dmitriid at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:52:33 CEST 2005

> > True, I don't have ImageMagick installed. Is generation of thumbnails
> > reserved exclusively to IM? If so, it loks like a very odd decision to
> > me.
>
> Why? - It works fine for 10thousands of people.
> It's free and can be easily installed.
> So where's the problem?

The problem is that sometimes you don't have direct access to your
host (if it's an account handed down through a series of resellers) or
the host is reluctant to install any additional software :(

> > If so, it means that there is no way I could create nice-looking sites
> > without IM? Very odd indeed.
>
> Of course you can. You will have to style, resize and/or crop your images
> using Photoshop or Fireworks before uploading though.
> And you won't be able to create menus from the same image sources you used
> for the larger versions.

:( That is going to be one hell of a long process :(

> > BTW. I just checked the install tool. Even though it says "Thumbnails
> > are generated by IM/partly GD", it wouldn't let me set the
> > [GFX][thumbnails] option. How partly?
>
> Don't know exactly. But a fact is: No IM -> no thumbnails. Even though GD
> might be part of the thumbnail creation process.

That's why I say it's odd, because quite a lot can be accomplished
through GD alone (look at PHPThumb, http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/,
for example). And GD is much more widely available than ImageMagick.

Oh, well, no rest for the wicked :) Thank you