AW: [Typo3] Typo3 template repository?

Dieter Mayer dieter_mayer at gmx.net
Tue Jun 14 19:29:14 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

> I am not convinced of making such a mass of ready-to-run
> templates for some reasons:
> 1. TYPO3 is a professional tool for professional sites.
> Professional sites need custom templates.

Well, you can find a lot of professional templates for free on various
sites, enough for building up a repository - I think, this is a good base
for a Typo3 newbie to start with a predefined, prof. template.

> 2. Mass templates are boring to annoying to look at. If I see
> another site with the Kubrick template, I'll go somewhere else.

Me too, but a newbie can take this as basis for his own creation.

> So again, what would be the use of whipping up 200+ templates
> that implement the same features, add a few <div> here and
> there, and some different CSS?

A big part of my developing time is the boring job of generating css files.
A div or table based layout is easy to code, but adding css instructions for
all used extensions is very, very boring and annoying. For example, some of
my templates are using css files with 1100+ lines of code - ugly.
So I think it could be a good idea to offer predefined templates including
the css definitions of the 'most wanted' extensions. Very helpful, not only
for the beginner...

In this case it makes sense to have a template repository.

And btw: Typo3 is not only used for professional sites with custom
templates. Listen to the english and german lists, you'll find a lot of
messages from people, that use Typo3 for small or medium sites, many of them
for private or semi professional purposes...
Give them predefined templates (maybe including a basic page tree) to start
with, and they will be happy...

Greets,
Dieter