[Typo3] Advantage and Disadvantage in keeping 1 only typo3 installation

Boris Senker typo3 at dvotocka.hr
Tue Jun 7 14:36:29 CEST 2005

"Michael Scharkow" <mscharkow at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1118128322.24486.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...
> Nagita Karunaratne wrote:

> I'm sure there are some people from the hosting business here that can
> answer related questions.

We are using multiple TYPO3 installs sharing the same source code for
multiple sites so they use separate databases and home/userdirs,
but use the same TYPO3 source. We preinstall a good set of global extensions
to a source install, don't allow users to install global extensions only
local ones, and this setup works perfectly under suPHP engine which tightens
the permissions.

We don't use cPanel (because it takes far too much resources, takes over the
whole system making it much less flexible and configurable, tends to release
buggy updates etc. - in fact I couldn't be happier we got rid of it) but
another semi-custom made small and fast control panel, providing users with
all the necessary functions for their websites.

In case we have developed a TYPO3 site for a client and we also administer
it (he only wants to edit or add content), we keep the admin login and
provide the client with an editor-level user login, with the fine-grained
permissions to add/edit the content.

Boris Senker

: dvotocka design

Graphic Design for Print and Web, Prepress, Website Production, TYPO3
Hosting

J. Laurencica 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.dvotocka.hr