[Typo3] How to update fe_user usergroup

Jason Brock jasonrbrock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:52:05 CEST 2005

Hi,

Does anyone know how to update the "usergroup" field in the "fe_user" table?

I'm getting a list of the groups that the user is in:

$user_group = $GLOBALS['TSFE']->fe_user->user['usergroup'];

I'm testing to see if they're a member a required group, if they're
not I want to update their profile so they're added to the group...

$query = "UPDATE fe_users SET group =
'".$user_group.",".$theNewGroupId."' WHERE uid='".$user_uid."'";

But I'm having no joy -- even when I try to execute my sql in
phpMyAdmin I get an error, I guess it's got something to do with the
usergroup field being a tinyblob binary? -- can't find any doco or
discussions, can anyone give me some pointers.... any suggestions?

thx,
Jason.