[Typo3] Can one install Typo3 on a shared server with an FTP program?

Sly Sylvester sylvaline2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 20:08:00 CEST 2005

For the past 5 days I have been going through the
whole documentation and mailing list but could not
find any answer to my problem.

My question is, can one install Typo3 on a shared
server uploaded with an FTP program?

I am on a shared server and my host is 1&1.

I downloaded the QuickStart ZIP version 3.8.0 and
unzip to my pc and then uploaded it to my shared
server with an FTP program(FlashFXP) e.g.
http://www.mytestsite.com/typo3/.

Then started my browser and pointed to
http://www.mytestsite.com/typo3/typo3/install/ and I
went through the rest of the insatllation without any
problem, I thought.

But when I clicked on the (1: Basic Configuration) the
error appeared in RED:

typo3temp/ directory does not exist.

And on clicking on (5: typo3temp/) and there appear
the error clearly.

typo3temp/ not writable!
You must make typo3temp/ write enabled before you can
proceed with this test.

And I tried to enter the BE and after entering the
default username: admin and password: password, there
comes the page blank with the following error:

ERROR: PATH_site + "typo3temp/" was not a directory!

and I could not enter the real BE page.

As said earlier, I went through the whole mailing
lists read a hand full of the documentations but came
across a very few who had the same problem in a
different way. And the problem was not really solved.

Please could somebody tell me how to solve this
problem. Or how best to install the typo3 on a shared
server. I am not really sure where exactly the problem
lies.

Sylva.

PS:
My host's PHP Memory limit is 40MB.