[Typo3] Menu itemstates ACT vs ACTIFSUB

Georg Rehfeld georg.rehfeld at gmx.de
Fri Jan 28 06:03:53 CET 2005

Hi all,

I ever wondered where there is the difference between ACT and ACTIFSUB.
As usual this may demonstrate my brain damage ... nevertheless:

Assuming a "normal" menu, only showing level 1 when on the startpage
and ever expanding when going deeper into the pages tree. Oh, besides,
contrary to most of the T3 docs, my page tree has it's root in the
ceiling and hangs down from there :-) ... resembling the well known
computer trees you see all day, e.g. the Typo3 page tree starting at
top, Explorer ... So we go _deeper_ or _to_the_right_ when moving to
child pages of our current page, _up_ and _down_ to access siblings of
the current page. Back to subject.

ACT is documented as:
... menu items which are found in the rootLine
ACTIFSUB documented as:
... menu items which are found in the rootLine and has subpages

Now, where ever I am in the tree of pages the current page is just
that: the CUR one. Up the tree back to the startpage (the rootline)
every parent/grandparent/... page _is_ ACT (in the rootline) _but_also_
has subpages, naturally, so _it_is_ ACTIFSUB too. Where, please,
are these two states ever usefull? What am I not seeing here?

And then comes up the missing state CURIFSUB, which would be most
interesting, when one tries to resemble something similar a typical
computer tree: show the current page as a folder icon or a page icon
(a _node_ having children or a _node_ beeing a _leaf_).

And I know, that there are several messages/solutions in this group to
that, all requireing a (small) extension to be written.

Shouldn't ACTIFSUB simply be dropped and a CURIFSUB introduced in the
core (in case ACTIFSUB can be pointed out to be usefull, just _add_
CURIFSUB to the core)?

Feel free to compare these (excellent as usual) docs:

Trees in computer science:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_data_structure
Trees in nature:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree