[Typo3] Direct Mail does not send Testmail or Mass-Send

Padraig Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Wed Jan 26 21:53:00 CET 2005

Fabian,

I don't exactly agree with Fabian.

In the past we had a lot of problems with the Direct Mail extension. We are
an advertising agency and work a lot with MacOs. Almost all the
Mac-mailreaders couldn't handle the base-64 encoding. The same is going on
with Spam-filtering software. Because the content of the mail is Base-64
encoded, the Spam-filtering software thinks the mail has something to hide.
Better is to switch to Quoted printable or even 8-bit encoding of the
content. There is some information about this in the newsgroup and some
people wrote extensions or documentation about it.

With the release of WindowsXP Service Pack 2 we discovered that the embedded
images are not that bad at all. Ok, the mails get pretty big, expecially
when you use a lot of images, but in SP2, for instance Outlook Express
blocks images in mails that are loaded from a URL on the Internet. This is
on by default and I think a lot of people leave this on. When embedded the
way the Direct Mail extension does, the images are shown.

We use a seperate template for our newsletters without any functions that
belong javascript. This way there is no javascript in our mails.

Padraig

"Brian Slezak" <Brian.Slezak at cor.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.882.1106762212.2660.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...
I can corroborate this as well.  We are in the middle of becoming as
compliant as possible with ISP and SPAM filtering software so that our
subscription e-mail go through to the recipients, and the direct mail
extension is not a great solution.

1. It embeds all stylesheets and images within the email
2. It includes any JavaScript in the original newsletter
3. Some softwares do not like the headers it generates

I haven't found work-arounds to these problems yet, and I don't know if any
exist.  If anyone has good suggestions, please let us know.

Brian