[Typo3] RTE not able to tag for CSS???

Mark Fink mail at mark-fink.de
Mon Feb 28 23:56:39 CET 2005

JoH wrote:
... obviously you desided to cut the technical part of my question.
>>This really could not be true! CSS is the standard for formating HTML
>>pages. Sure typo3 can reference stylesheets but this is of little use
>>if the content is not marked up accordingly. I think that only very
>>few sites can manage with P, H1, H2 and the other standart tags and
>>specific extensions are necessary. The CSS standard describes the
>>needed elements.
>>I have to say that MS with its frontpage supports CSS with not much
>>left  to desire. I my opinion a enterprize class content management system
>>should offer the same support for CSS. Otherwise it seems pretty
>>outdated to me.
>

> 1. You are right: CSS _is_ the standard for formatting HTML (as far as you
> believe in W3C standards) and believe me, the TYPO3 developers are very well
> aware of this fact.
>
> 2. If you need more than the standard tags it might be that you didn't
> understand CSS completely. Especially the C (Cascading) might be the
> something that's missing.
> In most cases we used standard tags only for our clients sites, wrapped with
> different div-tags for each content element. This way you can format a P
> inside a News-Container in another style than a P inside a Textpic-Element.
> Very easy to handle, without any need for fancy "<DIV
> class="Lookwhatever">|</DIV> inside a textblock. And this is what the RTE
> has to offer: a simple Textblock, that might contain some strong or em tags,
> or a simple list. Even the tables and images you can insert via the default
> RTE are simply waste, since there are content elements for those objects.
> But even if you want to work with those DIVs, it can still be easily
> achieved by using techniques that are described here:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_api/
Sounds like you understand this matter and could have answered my
question. Thanks for the link. Tomorrow I will take a look at those 179
pages.

> 3. TYPO3 has never been and never claimed to be a WYSIWYG-Editor. It's a
> Content Management Framework, which is something completely different. The
> main goal is to handle content in a comfortable way and as far as possible
> completely separated from styles, formatting and other layout stuff. The
> more tags you are using inside the content, the more you drift away from
> this goal and the harder it gets to make the same content available for
> different media.
But who asked for a WYSIWYG-Editor?

> BTW: Not to offend you, but if you like Frontpage that much, go, use it and
> be happy with it.
Thanks, but I can handle such decissions by myself.
Mark.