[Typo3] Case : different backend interfaces for the same plugin - how is this doable ?

W van Bruggen w.van.bruggen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:14:29 CET 2005

Hello list,

currently we are in development of a plugin which is used to display a
product and its specifications. Not all plugins share the same
specifications so some fields will be left blank, but the
specifications are stored in the same database table.

I've been reading in the backend programming documentation which says
that i can specify which fields are viewable for users and which are
not. For my case and the way i've read the documentation, that would
mean i have to specify a user for each productcategory which uses the
same specifications. This would be very inconvenient and not user
friendly.

The site is structured so that every product belongs to a certain
category so there are pages for each category and under them the
products.

Can i specify in the template record which field are shown in the
backend interface by modifying the tables.php to not instantly let
something be seen for a backend user that doesn't have admin rights ?
Or does that require to go to the kickstarter and make different
frontend plugins. This would be inconvenient because the plugin php
files have already been heavily modified.

Greets,
Wietse