[Typo3] RTE not able to tag for CSS???

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4dfx.de
Mon Feb 28 15:20:05 CET 2005

Mark Fink schrieb:

> Using CSS with Typo3
>
> I use typo3 since version 3.5 and this is the first time it really
> disapoints me. I invested so much and therefore have not much option
> left but it really hurts. I had this discussion in the german list but
> since it is smaller I received not much of help. But it helped me to
> structure my thoughts on this issue.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
> + I want to use Typo3 in combination with CSS since CSS is the standard
> + I studied and experiment with the "Customizing the Rich Text Editor"
> article. I want to use the RTE if possible. No "rtehtmlarea" or other
> none standard extensions. Unfortunately the promised article of
> adminguide.pdf is not available (anymore). I guess this is only for
> paying customers.
> + I have the extension "CSS styled content" installed because it seemed
> so promising.
>
> RTE.classes {
>   Look1 {
>     name = Look1 (DIV#LOOK1)
>     value = font:bold 10px; margin-bottom: 0;
>   }
> }
> RTE.default.classesParagraph = Look1
> RTE.default.hidePStyleItems = *
>
> I have the following two problems:
> 1. In the RTE I can mark one line of content and assign the style. If I
> check the "sourcecode ckeckbox" I can see the desired result: "<DIV
> class=Look1>...Content ... </DIV>". If I select multiple lines of
> content only the last one is marked up correctly. The other lines are
> wraped with "<DIV> ... </DIV>". This is not pretty but I could live with
> it.
> 2. If I save all the format is gone and I have all the content wrapped
> with "<P> ... </P>".
>
> This really could not be true! CSS is the standard for formating HTML
> pages. Sure typo3 can reference stylesheets but this is of little use if
> the content is not marked up accordingly. I think that only very few
> sites can manage with P, H1, H2 and the other standart tags and specific
> extensions are necessary. The CSS standard describes the needed elements.
> I have to say that MS with its frontpage supports CSS with not much left
> to desire. I my opinion a enterprize class content management system
> should offer the same support for CSS. Otherwise it seems pretty
> outdated to me.
> This is the second time I tried to use CSS with Typo3 and it does not
> work. In my Opinion styling content by using CSS is a standard feature
> for a content management system. I am not able to and I do not want to
> program my own extension for CSS usage. I have to say that I would be
> happy to trade many of the small gimics extensions for a propper support
> of the CSS standard. Maybe the typo3 community should give this argument
> a consideration when next time priorizing new features. I think CSS is
> on the top level agenda. As is propper XML support but I will save this
> discussion for next time.

1) rtehtmlarea is more standard than this ActiveX-cr...
2) Check the manual for rte and you will find how to keep div
3) You're welcome to contribute. "...not able and I do not want to..."
is the wrong attitude for an open source product free of charge. IMHO
you should ask for paid support.

Regs. Peter.