[Typo3] Converting existing site to TYPO3

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Feb 23 15:07:56 CET 2005

James Walsh wrote:

>Firstly many thanks to Luc & Bart for earlier good advice on TYPO3 and SEO.
>
>I need to convert an existing large site (250 HTML pages) into TYPO3. Currently the pages
>produce standard HTML via php scripts which insert dynamic headers, footers and sidebars.
>The pages are well established in Google and Yahoo and I don't want to lose these rankings
>when I convert to TYPO3. My specific questions are :
>
>1) Is there a tool or process that will easily automate the conversion of an existing site in this format to TYPO3 ?

There is not tool, not that I know of that can do a automatic
conversion. Becase T3 uses a template bases system thre is no where that
the system can now
how your tempolate looks like so automatic import of all pages is highly
unlikly

>2) I need to keep exactly the existing directory structure and particularly page names as they are indexed
>    already by the search engines. How ?

This can be done using the RealURL extention and making the page
structure in T3 the same as your current directory structure.
But you will mis the final 'php' name that is called in your current
setup. And example is this:
    http://www.livetravelguides.com/south-america/ecuador/
Where the page ecuador is situated under the page south-america

>3) The existing pages use PHP to dynamically generate specific html headers, sidebars, footers
>    per page. It seems that it is possible to use TYPOScript to call the same php scripts for
>    headers and footers. I've searched through the examples in the documentation, but can't
>    find an example of this ? Any examples would be much appreciated.

Yes, this is perfectly possible... The best way (for me) is deside of
you can do it in TS or for migration permpose just keep the current
PHP and call them from typoscript.
The extention templavoila can be really usefull in your case unless many
pages  in your current system have totally different layouts but stii
perfectly possible....

>Note : I am using a normal hosted account on a Windows server, and so I don't have Linux/Unix
>or command line access.

You can do a T3 installation in a subdir and see how it performs. Make
sure that all image manipulation functions are supported!!

cheers,
Ries