[Typo3] Need help configuring Typo3

Mo Khalil mo at voodooskunk.com
Mon Feb 21 01:50:17 CET 2005

Hi people

I'm creating an intranet for a charity (no, I'm not charging!) which is
why I chose Typo3. It seems to be the most advanced and easiest to
implement CMS tool ever (open source of otherwise)!

I'm trying to set up a test site where the very first page is a login
page - beyond which there is no access except for internally created
frontend users. Next page in the tree is a Welcome page, followed by
Page 1, Page 2 and Page 3. I've created a frontend usergroup with 3
users in it, and tested the logins. That bit's fine...

However, I need some help configuring Typo3 to do what I need it to!
It's nothing major (I hope)...

1) Can i make a backend group the owner of a page? I'll get into why a
little later.

2) How do I create a "logout" function? I'm testing typo3 using its own
template_1.html (from the tutorials) as the main template. Do I need to
create a second template with the logout link in it, and then add some
code to the template setup in typo3? If so, what code do i add to this
link, and how do I get typo3 to implement a second template file?

3) When I create a backend usergroup, there is no function for
selecting which modules the group can access. However, when i create a
backend user there is. Am I missing an extension or something?

4) Back to the first point, the reason I'm trying to make a usergroup
the owner of a page is because I'm trying to get to grips with
workflows (I may have totally missed the point, or lost the plot, so
forgive me!). What I'd like to do is create 3 usergroups of editors
(who can only create, edit, and maybe delete pages belonging to the
their tree) - 1 for Page 1, 1 for Page 2 and 1 for Page 3 - then 3
usergroups of publishers (who can make a page in their tree live) - 1
for Page 1, 1 for Page 2... The workflow is working fine. Publisher 1
can set a task for editor 1 and editor 1 receives the task. However,
when editor 1 tries to create or edit a page, there is no "create
content" button. Editor 1 can click the tiny "create new content" icon,
followed by anything from the "select type of content element" page
(e.g. text with image below) and the "select position" page (e.g. left,
right, normal), but then the right-hand screen refreshes and goes
completely blank! What have i done wrong? Maybe it's a permissions
thing? I've set the DB mounts and chosen the right modules (web, page,
user and task centre), but why is there no component loading?

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in
mind that I'm a novice, so detailed instructions will be required.

Thanks a million.

mo.