[Typo3] Tmenu Performance Issue

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 22:54:53 CET 2005

Hi,

--- Rob De Vries <spam_this at pandora.be> wrote:

> Hey Sandy,
>
> this is a well known issue.
> your page size without the menu is 12.73KB
> Your page size with the menu is 438.84KB
>
> 2. Will more levels produce more overhead and therefore slower speed?
> In this case, definatly
>
> 1. Is there a way of speeding this up?
> yep, replace the huge hunk of code with a simple ext JS and style
> your
> menu with a ext style sheet (css)
>
> You could use some of the techniques explained in here
> http://tinyurl.com/53t9l
> (my first post isn't the best solution after all)
>
> I would also like to point out that a table isn't the best way to
> build
> a menu. Using a list is a better solution. Take a look at this
> http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/
> You can achieve better results with a list,  it is easyer to style
> your
> menu and it makes your website also more accesible.
> Even if you don't care that your website validates as 4.01 or xhtml,
> most of there 'techniques' will increase your website size and
> improve
> your website loading speed.
>
> hope it is of some help

Rob has it right. For another interesting statistic, consider this -
your page sans-menu contains 152 lines of code; with the menu, there
are  4059 lines of code [!]. What's more, your CONTENT ('First Sunday
in Lent') begins on the 3992nd line! With all due respect to the
script's author - I don't know if I could write as good a one - that
TMENU Layers javascript is unusually huge even for a javascript-powered
popup menu system.

I also wanted to point out though that ALL dropdown menus (whether they
be powered by js or css) have the potential to slow your pages down a
bit if they're big enough. This is because, in order to be available to
'pop up' on mouseover, the ENTIRE menu structure has to be loaded into
each page.

You may even find it worthwhile to consider whether or not a popup menu
system is even a good choice for your site(s) at *all*. A nice forum
thread about the problems associated with flyout menus can be found
here:

Now, having tried to talk you out of it, I'll admit that I do run a
couple of sites that use flyouts including an awful TMENU layers menu
(that gets upgraded to something more lightweight as soon as I can
spare an afternoon to build them a better nav system)...

-Christopher