[Typo3] Ext:wurfl - proper detection of mobile devices

Michael Perkhofer michael.perkhofer at uibk.ac.at
Sun Feb 13 13:17:11 CET 2005

Hi!

Just wanted to inform you, I just released a first usable version of the
extension called 'wurfl' (Wireless Universal Resource File) to the TER. The
wurfl project (credits to Luca Passani and Andrea Trasatti for delivering
this great project) can be found on wurfl.sourceforge.net.

The purpose of this extension is to make TS templates more flexible to
deliver optimized content for mobile devices, by using 'Wurfl'. E.g.:

[device = wap]
# now recognizes the majority of all mobiles available
# of course an up to date version of the XML file is necessary

[userFunc = user_wurfl_getDeviceCapability(html_wi_oma_xhtmlmp_1_0)]
# ok we can send XHTMLMP code and not WML

[userFunc = user_wurfl_getDeviceCapability(jpg)]
# render images as jpg files, because the user_agent is able to display that

This is just a first release, and I use the extension for a webproject,
where I need to deliver a WAP page. If you are interested in helping me,
making this extension more powerful please contact me. I would like to make
an addition, that the 2 class files (both BSD licence) dont need to be
delivered with the extension from the TER. There also should be an update
function in the BE, where you can install the XML file manualy - so this
also doesnt need to be included into the TER.

Regards, Michael.