[Typo3] Two menues in one subpart

Jeppe Vesterbaek jhve02 at control.auc.dk
Mon Feb 7 21:52:19 CET 2005

Hi list
I'm using the template autoparser extension. I have a subpart called "menu" (<td id="menu">), where I place a HMENU (temp.menu = HMENU) like this
subparts.menu < temp.menu

Now, I'd like to place another HMENU in the same subpart along with the original, and I would like to place some html tags between them.  Kinda like this:

subparts.menu < temp_new_menu + "some html tags" + temp.menu

How do I do that?

<start rambling>
To add a few cents to the (always) ongoing discussion about the steep learning curve of typo3: I think one of the primary reasons is typoscript. It is simply not logical (IMHO). Like if I know c or php, I can easily figure out the syntax/"the way of doing it" of other peoples source code.  I can even read other programming languages with different syntax with no problem because the basic idea of variable value asignment and function calls etc. is the same. With typoscript, everything must be looked up in some refference simply because there is no "overall common way" fuctionality is implemented via typoscript (again, IMHO).
I know typoscritp is no programming or scripting language hence this comparrion may not hold true, but still: Why oh why create something like typoscript with it's own special syntax . If I want to assign to "things" to to a subpart, I should just be able to do it like I have always done
subpart = thing1 + thing2 + ....

If I want to use logical operators to check a statement, I should be able to use the common logical operators and not have to check a refference manual to see how this is done for the special typo3 case.

Well, I'm rambling. Basically, my point is: why not use a syntax that is well tested, derived from years of experience, and that we all know? Think about how easy it is to get a grip of php compared to how easy it is to get a grip of typoscript.

Just my two cents. I'm quite new to typo3 (3 months of paying with it). I have just typo3 to create a fairly advanced site and also created some extensions - but when it comes to typoscript, right here, right now, I do not know the syntax to concat two strings or to make a simple comparison to check if 3 < 4.
</start rambling>

Over and out.

- Jeppe Vesterbaek (vesterbaek)