[Typo3] ImageMagick - further thought

Robert A Heller rah at rheller.net
Mon Feb 7 20:23:47 CET 2005

I am not sure if you are running your live site on a hosted box, or on
your own box.  Nevertheless, you will probably need a fully qualified
(absolute) path.

To be sure, i'd use _/usr/bin_, if that is where your imagic binaries exist.

It sounds like you are using a hosted service somewhere.  If that is the
case, then you are not likely to be able to place the IM files in
/usr/bin and will have to place them into your own folder tree.  You
probably won't know the absolute pathname of your htdocs/mysite folder.
If you have shell access to the host you can simply type in 'pwd' at the
shell prompt ($) and it will tell you your absolute path (could be
something like /home/htdocs/mysite or /var/htdocs/mysite or /usr/local/).

All that said, clearly you have been able to install typo3 and make it
work.  I presume this is all installed in your home directory
(htdocs/mysite).

Check your PHP configuration as it supplies a lot of information.  You
can do this in your install tool (login to
live.domain.com/typo3/install) and select option 7 (phpinfo()).

Check the SERVER: PATH_TRANSLA: environment variable in the getenv()
section.  This should tell you what your absolute pathname is to
../htdocs/mysite.  You can probably also see in the _ENV and _SERVER
sections things like SCRIPT_FILENAME and DOCUMENT_ROOT which can provide
the same information.

In your location (../htdocs/mysite) I'd create a folder labelled IM and
then I'd put all the binaries into that directory.  For example
../htdocs/mysite/IM/bin and then set the path information in the install
tool to /root/directory/path/from/SCRIPT_FILENAME/htdocs/mysite/IM/bin
and it should all work.