[Typo3] gifbuilder quality, imagecreate()

typo3 at davidlanier.com typo3 at davidlanier.com
Mon Feb 7 19:31:29 CET 2005

Hello,

I've done some searches and found others with this same problem, but no real
solutions other than writing a completely custom PHP script.

The problem is that GIFBUILDER creates a 256-color JPG, even when it's only been
given a high-quality JPG to work with.

I'm using 3.7.0

I believe the source of the problem is in the usage of the imagecreate()
function.  In my version, it's found on line 329 of class.tslib_gifbuilder.php.

After referring to the PHP docs, it appears that imagecreatetruecolor() is
preferred for preserving image quality.  This may only be an issue for
installations using GDLib 2.

I tried simply changing imagecreate() to imagecreatetruecolor(), but it then
requires further adjustments in order to work correctly.  (I got black
backgrounds, and image quality was still 256 colors).

Is there a fix or patch for this?  Can anyone help?

David Lanier