[Typo3] header image replace techniques

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 23:50:02 CET 2005

Hi Rob,

--- Rob De Vries <spam_this at pandora.be> wrote:

> Heya listers
>
> I was wondering if any of you did get some good results with image
> replacements technieques.
> i'm not talking about the standard header image rendering of typo.
> More a CSS sollution.
>
> The Dynamic CSS ext looks interresting.
> Did anyone already do some header replacements with this, where the
> header of a content element get parsed true this ext. ?
>
> Any feedback would be nice

I posted a FIR solution (TS only, not an extension) to the accessiblity
newsgroup a couple of months back. My first attempt generated header
tags like this:

<h1 title="Headline: This is a headline" style="background:color#fff
url(ts/generated/image.gif) 0 0;"><span>This is a headline</span></h1>

and the corresponding css for was like this:

h1 span {position:relative;left:-5000px;}

I've since re-written the TS to use this method (which allows the text
to display if images are turned off):

<h1 title="Headline: This is a headline"><span
style="background:color#fff url(ts/generated/image.gif) 0
0;"></span>This is a headline</h1>

...with css just making the span display over top of the <h1> text and
limiting the <h1> text's overflow. You can see the result at my
perpetually-unfinished dev site: http://www.bedlamhost.bedlamhotel.com/

I have thought of turning this into an extension (so that the styles
could be written to a stylesheet instead of being inline in the actual
tags), but so far the requisit chunk of time has failed to materialize
:)

If anyone wants, I can post the TS for the new variant here or to the
newsgroup.

By the way, I think the .gov extension does a variant of this, does it
not?

-Christopher