[Typo3] Can somebody PLEASE show me how to get a searchbox

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 20:06:32 CET 2005

Hi,

On 09/12/05, Scotty C <superscotty19 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> I was really hoping the list wouldn't amoun to this,
> but since you insist on taking shots at my
> intelligence and know nothing about me, I will
> hopefully try to clear the air in the most diplomatic
> way possible.

If you will re-read what I sent, I said _nothing_ about your intelligence.

> This is not the first site I've worked on with Typo. I
> have been working with Typo for ~4 months, I own the
> Typo3 book, and I've read the majority of manuals in
> the documentation matrix. Your links accmplished
> nothing, and proved my point once more - let me
> explain by referencing your footnotes:
>
> 1.) This is a link to Google, where people are posting
> their problems with indexed-search - there is no
> tutorial.

Fair enough. Some snippets seemed relevant, but perhaps not--in any
case, you _won't_ find a tutorial that's more specific than what I
pointed you to already. Adding some object to every page is not a
problem that inherently has anything to do with the indexed search
plugin.

> 2,3,4.) This has nothing to do with indexed_search

That's right--but _neither does your question_. There is absolutely
_nothing_ about your question (if what you want to know is how to
"have a search box on every page"), specific to the indexed search
plugin.

The GoLive tutorial deals with TS-only templating, the TsByEx has more
examples of the same and the TSref lists the properties of it the
TEMPLATE cobject. These _are_ the resources you need to find a
solution to this problem.

The TS you posted in the first message in this thread (if it's
actually what you used, and not a copy & paste error):

marks.searchbox >
marks.searchbox < plugin.tx_macinasearchbox_pi1
plugin.tx_macinasearchbox_pi1 {
	pidSearchpage = 276
}

...seems to show that you haven't understood the basic templating
tutorials such as the GoLive tutorial that I referred you to. Simply
pointing this out does not constitute some kind of slight or insult.
The '.marks' property makes NO SENSE outside of a TEMPLATE cobject
(the documentation for which I also referred you to). I guess you're
using the auto-parser, but the GoLive tutorial is more fundamental
than MTB, and the TsByEx fleshes out the TEMPLATE object with a few
more examples. I can only repeat that you _need_ to understand how TS
objects work or Typo3 will be endlessly confusing.

> I hope that you can see where I'm going with this. If
> I was hasty in asking for help, I'm sorry, but I just
> want an answer - I don't need snide remarks. If you're
> too smart for this list, then please pay no mind to my
> "inferior" question ...

'snide remarks'? Give me a break. People have suggested you a) make
use of existing documentation, b) ask _specific_ questions and c)
consider paying for help if your deadline is too close. If you take a
look, you'll find that these three steps are all suggested in the list
rules as well...

The question in this thread is so broadly stated that it's impossible
to determine your familiarity with TS or even HTML for that matter,
and also impossible to grasp very much about how you're trying to add
the searchbox. All this makes providing a specific answer pretty
difficult (e.g. Typo3 doesn't do anything except serve up HTML pages;
so it's definitely possible to copy the HTML code output by the plugin
and build that into your base template; did you try that?
Alternatively, is there _anything_ else in your template that appears
on every page--navigation perhaps?--if so, did you try the same
method? What happened?)

As I mentioned, the apparent problem is that you're trying to add
.marks to something that isn't a TEMPLATE object. If your TS objects
don't closely resemble what you see here:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsbyex/TEMPLATE-1/

...then nothing will happen. Check the TS object browser in Template
module to see if the .marks property you added actually  _does_ belong
to a TEMPLATE object, if so, post back with the structure of the
TEMPLATE.

> or at worst case, bear with me
> and give me a link (much like Peter did - btw, thanks
> again Peter!). I guess I just don't understand why
> people even bother talking if they can't help.
>
> Open sorce software is meant to be in the spirit of
> learning, and so far this morning, all I've done is
> become frustrated with people like you.

People like me eh? Search the archive and see how often you find me
answering questions...

> At this point,
> I'd like to tell the whole list that once I actually
> find the resources I'm looking for, I am going to post
> a complete step-by-step tutorial so nobody else has to
> endure what I did. I may have sounded "whiney", or
> "ridiculous", but at least my whines will end up
> helping people and bettering the product.

One thing you said in this thread ("on typo3.org there is no
documentation on indexed_search") reminded me of something that might
be helpful to you and others:

The system extensions & their accompanyinig documentation have been
removed from the repository, but that doesn't mean they're gone. Just
as the indexed search extension is present in the extension manager of
any given Typo3 install, _so is the manual_!

-Christopher