[Typo3] What is the best way to set up a multiple site with subdomains?

Gilles Deacur tronno22556 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:06:28 CET 2005

Gilles Deacur wrote:

>> Michiel Roos wrote:

>>> Hope we can help you.

>>> Understood, this is possible.

> Oops... my mistake.  I just checked (don't know why I didn't proofread
> this yesterday), but the address doesn't say
> "critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com/this-page/", it says
> "admin-maint.sunshinelocksmith.com/this-page/".
>
> What I want is for it to say "www.critterpal.com/this-page/", not having
> the the "admin-maint" stuff in there.
>

>>> Why is this a problem? You own the names critterpal.com and
>>> sunshinelocksmith.com.
>>>
>>> To make Typo3 recieve all the requests for the subdomains etc, your
>>> vhost
>>> entry should look something like this:
>>>
>>> <VirtualHost sunshinelocksmith.com:80>
>>>   ServerName sunshinelocksmith.com
>>>   ServerAlias critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com
>>>   ServerAlias critterpal.com
>>>   ServerAlias deacur.sunshinelocksmith.com
>>>     DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/typo3Root
>>>   CustomLog    /home/httpd/logs/sunshinelocksmith.com/access combined
>>>   ErrorLog     /home/httpd/logs/sunshinelocksmith.com/errors
>>> </VirtualHost>
>>>
>>> Then it is Typo3's problem to answer the requests with the correct
>>> content. Therefore, you must specify domain entries for all your sites.
>>> If you want your location bar to read "www.critterpal.com/this-page/",
>>> make your links point there.

>>> I don't understand your problem here.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>>> Michiel
>>

>> Oooo... yah... well, I'm on a shared server with cpanel.  Is there a
>> way I can access that file?
>>
>> I have a .htaccess file that was edited to run the RealURL.

I'm going to clarify the situation...

The user types in "www.critterpal.com".

"critterpal.com" is an addon domain that I have setup in a subdomain of
my main account that can be accessed as either
"critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com" or "sunshinelocksmith.com/critterpal".

In cpanel I set up a redirect in the Addon Domains section so that
"critterpal.com" points to
"http://admin-maint.sunshinelocksmith.com/index.php?id=1" which is the
root page of the critterpal site.

I have Typo3 installed into a subdomain of "sunshinelocksmith.com"
called "admin-maint" that can be accessed by typing in
"admin-maint.sunshinelocksmith.com" or "sunshinelocksmith.com/admin-maint".

Typo3 then identifies the page id and serves the site.

This all works good, but every page has the
"admin-maint.sunshinelocksmith.com" in the browser and not
"critterpal.com" like it ideally should.

What trick do I need to do to correct this?