[Typo3] Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference

Dennis Cheung hkdennis2k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 02:42:36 CET 2005

Him

I think this is bug of typo3. It said it is not using
allow_call_time_pass_reference, and you can safely turn it off. But in fact,
there are still a few php still using that feature. As they are written as
chains of function call.

In class.t3lib_db.php, it is using
                'debug_backtrace' =>
function_exists('debug_backtrace')?next(debug_backtrace()):'N/A'
while next() has problem with allow_call_time_pass_reference turned off.

to fix this, you have to rewrite the lines.

            $temp='N/A';
            if(function_exists('debug_backtrace')){
                $temp=debug_backtrace();
                $temp=next($temp);
            }
            echo t3lib_div::view_array(array(
                'caller' => 't3lib_DB::'.$func,
                'ERROR' => $error,
                'lastBuiltQuery' => $this->debug_lastBuiltQuery,
                'debug_backtrace' => $temp
            ));