[Typo3] New: GMENU LAYERS script into External File

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:23:10 CEST 2005

On 27/08/05, Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> wrote:

> Yes it sounds so! Can you please submit a patch to the bugtracker? Maybe it
> makes sense to put this into the core...

Just a question: I see the value of flyout menus being available in
T3, but is anyone thinking about modernizing the ones that are
available? The T/GMENU_LAYERS menus produce almost unbelievably
bloated markup and are in addition rather difficult to work with.

Should we be thinking about replacing them altogether with a sleeker
version? I realize, of course, that we'd need to keep the old ones for
some time at least, but it would be very nice to be able to have a
better option available too (e.g. via a TS option...)

This (GPL) menu for example, while it doesn't produce the *best*
markup I've seen, still produces far lighter code than the *_LAYERS
series and is pretty robustly cross-browser compatible:

http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/menubar/demo.html

I wonder if it might be better to slightly expand the properties of
T/GMENU items so that they could produce menus like these and
transparently use T/GMENU to build the *_LAYERS menus...

Anyone have any thoughts?

-Christopher