[Typo3] General Approach for Finding Typo3 Classes/Methods

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Thu Aug 11 10:36:50 CEST 2005

Nick Weisser schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> What is your approach when you are trying to work with Typo3 classes,
> but you don't know where the function (method) you are looking for is
> located and how it is called?
>
> I've just been looking for a method that returns the path to an
> extension folder. I remember that there was a method particularly for
> that purpose, but I can't find it anymore. At least neither in
> class.tslib_pibase.php nor in class.t3lib_div.php.
>
> Any pointer as to what would be the best (general) approach for finding
> specific methods would be really appreciated.

1. Read "Core API"
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_api/

2. Find "high Priority Functions"
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_api/High_priority_functi/

3. Use the EXT:extdeveval for full-API of most important Classes

4. Have a look at the full-API
http://docteam.sourceforge.net/doxygen_doc/TYPO3/html/
(Or use doxygen to generate your own version from source)

5. Study the source/use a debugger to find out how something is done in
another ext/functionality

HtH,
Peter
--