[Typo3] symlinks for typo3

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 19:28:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 08/08/05, Stan <sd at ixnl.com> wrote:
> Grrr!!
>
> what I have now is
>
> typo3_src-3.7.1 in   home/www/
>
> i installed  dummy-3.7.1
>
> renamed it users
>
> did symlink and it shows
>
> in /www    typo3_src---> typo3_src-3.7.1
>
> I go to http://bla/users/index.php and get
> error not found 404
>
> Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong I have looked everywhere for
> answers.

Please review the mailing list rules [1] - there's no need to quote
every message in the entire thread in each message, AND this is the
wrong list for install-related questions (you might get more or better
answers on that list...)

Then, have a look at the available install documents [2], [3]. If you
look in [3], you'll find out a) why there are symlinks in the source,
b) how to make them, and c) how to do without them (i.e. the .zip
packages).

The problem you're having is because your symlink points to something
that doesn't exist; this:

typo3_src---> typo3_src-3.7.1

...means that the symlink 'typo3_src' points to a directory called
'typo3_src-3.7.1' but there is no such directory, because you've
renamed it. I haven't read the complete thread, but I don't see any
reason for renaming the source package at all. In any case, based on
your current directory structure, run these commands:

rm typo3_src
ln -s users typo3_src

What would probably be most helpfulto you at the outset  is a basic
linux tutorial. A good one shouldn't be too hard to find - a Google
search for 'linux + tutorial' returns 5 million results...

http://www.google.ca/search?q=linux+tutorial

-Christopher