[Typo3] symlinks for typo3

S. Teuber traveler_in_time at gmx.net
Mon Aug 8 13:44:23 CEST 2005

Hi Stan,

first, it is considered very impolite to use the mailing lists without
providing your real name in the "From"-field, so  "sd <sd at ixnl.com>" will
upset some people here which then refuse to read or even answer your
posts.

That said, concerning your problem:

> I want to put typo3 more than once on the server

No problem. Just install the source *once* somewhere like you already
did:

> I have put typo3_src-3.7.1.tar.gz
> in hom/www/
> tar xzf typo3_src-3.7.1.tar.gz

So much for the source. Now, to craety multiple sites, just deflate and
rename the dummy package:

> tar xzf dummy-3.7.1.tar.gz
> Now the Dummy package I installed I want it to be in directory CJKL
> Do I rename the dummy-3.7.1 to CLKL ???

Yes.

mv dummy-3.7.1 CLKL

> Then create a symlink??? and if so, what do I put, I have never made a
> symlink before.

The only symlink you have to create/change is located inside the dummy
directory and is called typo3_src:

/home/www/dummy-3.7.1/typo3_src

Usually, it points to the directory "../typo3_src-3.7.1", so if you
installed the dummy package in the same directory as the sources, it
should be ready to go.

If you want to create your own symlinks, use the following syntax:

ln -s /path/to/source name_of_symlink

for example, inside the dummy/CJKL-directory, type:

ln -s ../typo3_src-3.7.1 typo3_src

> Sorry for being such a dummy, I am not a linux guy - must learn

I recommend searching google for some basic Linux tutorials.

Sven