[Typo3] Newbie: How to install Typo3 >> Unzip to server?

Martin S shieldfire at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 06:00:52 CEST 2005

On 08/08/05, prodos at prodos.com <prodos at prodos.com> wrote:

> From: Prodos (Melbourne, Australia)
>
> Greetings!
>
> I'm a NEWBIE and VERY slow with technical stuff, unfortunately.
>
> I would like to install Typo3 to a test site in order to get familiar
> with it
> and see whether it is the way to go for some non-profit projects I
> coordinate.
>
> I downloaded quickstart-3.8.0 to my computer.
>
> I tried unzipping it and then FTP transferring it to my server
> but when I then go to mydomain.index.php I get an error message.

What error message?

I've deleted the files and tried to install them several times over
> this weekend but I can't make it happen.

Should work I suppose, you need to give directories the correct permissions.
What error message do you get? (above)

Then I noticed at this page:

> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_quickstart/Installation/
>
> ... it says ....
>
> "If you already have access to a web server with PHP4 and
> MySQL then you can select "Installation A" below; you
> will have to download a zip-file, UNZIP IT ON YOUR SERVER
> space and that's it."
>

> Does that mean I do NOT unzip it on my computer and
> THEN transfer it to my server as I've been trying to do?
>
> I don't understand how to unzip the file "on your (my) server".

On my Unixbox I'd do:

ssh MYSERVER
cd WEBROOT
wget PACKAGE.tar.gz
tar -xvzf PACKAGE

What OS do you use?

(capitalized words are to be substituted for the actual
package/server/directory you are trying to use)

Isn't there an installation instruction in the package you downloaded?

Martin S

--
Regards,

Martin S