[Typo3] Translating ext. labels using the plugin TLO

Nicolas Harnois nh at bludok.com
Tue Apr 26 20:26:18 CEST 2005

Hello list,

I've searched high and low for a solution to this. I'm working on a
French/English one-tree site and am attempting to override extension
labels by means of the plugin TLO as outlined in TSref and with the aid
of the examples I found in this list.

Here's the symptom. I added the following to my template Setup:

plugin.tt_news._LOCAL_LANG.default.more = read more

This works fine and "read more" replaces the English "more" label found
in the extension's locallang.php. Now, when I attempt to replace the
label with a custom French version, the switch occurs but accented
characters don't display properly in the FE (though they appear OK in
the BE). For example :

plugin.tt_news._LOCAL_LANG.fr.more = plus de détails
in the BE outputs "plus de détails" in the FE.

Now, for the sake of testing, I replaced "fr" with "default" in the
previous code string (leaving "plus de détails" as the label) and, by
doing so, the FE output works fine (except of course that, in this case,
"plus de détails" appears on the English version of the site).

I have found this to be reproducible with all extensions in my
environment. I might add that my setup is UTF-8 enabled and I have no
problem displaying accented or even asian content anywhere on the site,
except in the case of these label overrides for French.

Following are additional details on my setup. Any help with this would
be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

nh

DB was created with utf-8 as default character set;
[BE][forceCharset] = utf-8 in localconf.php;
Relevant portions of my template Setup:
----------
## Language stuff
config.metaCharset = utf-8