[Typo3] dfn lists for accessible menus

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Sun Apr 24 14:52:08 CEST 2005

A german accessibility site recommends using unordered lists in
combination with <dfn>-Tags for accessible navigation menus. Sacha
Vorbeck posted a good description on this about one year ago:

<quote>
Recently a popular german accessibility site published an article about
accessible navigations ( http://www.einfachfueralle.de/artikel/menues/
). It is very interesting because the authors say that access-keys and
tab-indexes should be avoided because the troubles they cause weight
more than their benefits for the disabled.

Instead they recommend to use unordered list in combination with numbers
wrapped in the <dfn>-Element.

The resulting code would look like this:

<h1>Navigation:</h1>
<!-- List for first level -->
<ul>
<!-- embedded list for second level -->
<ul>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

For me it makes sense and the article is very popular. So I think it
would be a good idea to find a way to realize a menu like this with
TYPO3. I`m not possible if it`ll be possible with TS alone. So maybe
we`ll have to write an iproc-func for it.
</quote>

Back then, some people showed interest in this technique, but I haven't
read anything about it since.
Has somebody actually done this with Typo3 (or an idea how this could be
done)?

Ro