[Typo3] Direct Mail Subscription - Mail links garbage issue

Jesper Weissglas jesper at seventhwave.se
Thu Apr 21 15:32:50 CEST 2005

Using the direct mail subscription (1.0.3) with 3.7.0 (tt_address 1.0.3,
feuser_admin 1.0.2).

I have translated the HTML template file
(fe_admin_dmailsubscription.tmpl) to Swedish. This template contains
some parts that go on webb pages, and some parts that get sent in
emails. The mails apparently get sent using UTF-8, so I created the file
with Swedish characters in UTF-8 coding. If I use UTF-8 for the webb
page parts it screws up in the browser, so I use HTML Entities for the
swedish characters in the webb parts. This way both the webb and the
email parts look OK for the user.

However the administration links in the mails look very funny, and
cannot be clicked on. The ###THIS_URL### and ###FORM_URL### parts are
OK, but the fields after that look weird, strange characters and spaces
in the middle of the link.

Somewhere in the mail transmission chain a SMTP server has done a QP to
8-bit conversion, which migt be causing this. This leads me to the
conclusion that the mail does not have correct format headers when
delivered from Typo3 to the local sendmail daemon (Content-Type,
Content-Transfer-Encoding not correct).

I can't seem to find the place in the source where the PHP mail() call
is done.

Anyone care to give me a clue as to where to look, what the format is
supposed to be, or any other clues???

Cheers,
/jesper