[Typo3] Different charsets in backend

Steven Bagshaw steven.bagshaw at unv.org
Wed Apr 20 13:08:52 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I have been happily running along with utf-8 set as my "forceCharset" value
for the BE charset.

Now, I need to handle some data that isn't in utf-8 form. It displays OK
when I use iso-8859-1. This data I am bulk uploading using LOAD DATA INFILE
on MySQL 4.0.24-nt

So, I would like to leave forceCharset at utf-8 for my other sites/pages.
But for my new extension I would like to use iso-8859-1. I have tried using
config.renderCharset and config.metaCharset in my template and this works
fine for the FE display, but in the BE I still get incorrect characters.

I also tried using page.config.renderCharset and metaCharset, but this
doesn't help me in the BE, where when I edit or view the rows of my table,
the tables are still incorrect.

I see there are some MySQL charset conversion options from version 4.1, but
upgrading MySQL would be a last resort for me.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Steven Bagshaw