[Typo3] Live/Production server

Rainer (Rene) Suthoelder t3 at boswel-remove-me.de
Fri Apr 15 11:11:45 CEST 2005

Matteo Anceschi wrote:

> I agree with you, I've never read something like "with typo3 is not
> possible anyway" until now :)

well, if you are able to write the things you want, almost anuthing is
possible, that's not the question =:o)

after having inspected EXT
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/search/ed_lpesync/ : the extension
simply ftp's around sql dumps of changed DB records (newer than the last DB
sync) and imports them into the target system. there is no real
communication between the 2 servers. also, the live server is not supposed
to sync with the staging server (for example sending back FE user input).
this lacks a bit of functionality, especially when we look at static file
data (images et.al.) which are completly copied as a whole.

> Question: it seems to me that import/export function is really
> improved in 3.8.0...there's someone who can tell me if this
> improvement can help the live/production problem?

well, the new impexp is really cool: now, you can configure almost every
aspect of the export/import and save those configurations for later reuse.
those t3d files could of course be used to sync the target server, but
again, there is no communication between the servers.
but perhaps impexp could be enhanced in such a way. but this would be a huge
task if you look at the source code (alltogether, it only has some 200kb of
PHP code =:o)

greets,

rainer